The B’nei Mitzvah Curriculum
The B’nei Mitzvah Program is coordinated through the offices of the Rabbi and Cantor. Approximately six months prior to the Bar/Bat Mitzvah, students are trained in leadership of Shabbat prayers; Torah and Haftarah reading and cantillation; analysis and study of the Torah portion; personal mitzvah practice and the mitzvah project; and preparation of the bar/bat mitzvah speech.
Worship Service Attendance Requirements (Grade 3 - 6)
Communal worship is the foundation of our Hebrew prayer literacy program. We teach our children the Jewish value, “Do not separate yourself from the community.” We find many ways to help our students and families explore their personal relationship with God and to experience Jewish ritual and celebration throughout the cycle of the Jewish year.
Provided at each worship service is a Service Attendance Sign-In Sheet on the table near the second floor portico entrance doors. It is each child's responsibility to enter their name on this sheet. This enables us to record their attendance at the service. Service attendance will be tracked and recorded for each student in grades 3-6.
SERVICE ATTENDANCE REQUREMENT
The Temple Sinai Ritual Committee, at its meeting in September, 2005, implemented the following service attendance requirements for Religious School students. Attendance at this number of worship services each year is a requirement for Bar/Bat Mitzvah.
Grade 3 7 services
Grade 4 7 services
Grade 5 7 services
Grade 6 7 services
All services attended by students in Grades 3-6 must take place at Temple Sinai and may include any of the following services:
· Friday evening Shabbat services (7:30pm)
· Sharing Shabbat services (8:30am Saturday)
· Festival services (including Sukkot, Simchat Torah, Shavuot, Purim)
· One Saturday 10:30am Bar/Bat Mitzvah service
· One service on each of Erev Rosh Hashanah, Rosh Hashanah morning, Kol Nidre, Yom Kippur morning, and Yom Kippur afternoon (but not including the children’s service at 2:30pm)
· Friday evening summer services
1. Grade 3-6 parents will receive periodic service attendance updates during the school year.
2. Required services are expected to be completed by the close of the school year.